R-UTN member Miriam Feinsten invites everyone to the Township Theatere Group’s fourteenth season. All performances at area libraries are free.
James Morrissey, retired chairperson of Mathematics has passed away. The wake will be held at Brueggemann’s Funeral Home in East Northport on Saturday, December 26th from 7:00 – 9:00pm, and Sunday, December 27th from 2:00 – 4:00 pm and 7:00 – 9:00pm.
The Funeral Mass will be held at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs in Centerport on Monday, December 28th at 10:00am.m
Donations may be made online to www.miraclesinaction.org
The following letter to the editor was submitted by member Joe Burton. It is presented as his commentary and does not refer to a newsletter article or website post —
So far, I have been warned by several former colleagues if I still taught at Northport HS and was mentored by Dick Streb, I would be fired for the following:
- Driving my “Trail of Tears” class to Malone, NY to stay with angry Iroquois Native Americans for a week
- Teaching Future Studies and students refurbishing a turn-of-the-century trolley on class time with Sandy Scarpinito
- Supporting Sandy’s students construction of a rooftop hydroponic garden and lighthouse project
- Naming the trolley for a deceased member of our Northport family
- Assigning 9th grade World Studies classes to rummage through their kitchen garbage and bring in future archeological artifacts about a wasteful society
- STUDENTS writing the names and celebrating the lives of 3015 heroes killed on 9/11 over objections from the HS principal and department head
- Welcoming MSNBC and BRIAN WILLIAMS to document the wall
- Teaching the beauty of American pluralism and pro-immigration policies
- Publicly supporting affordable family heath care
- Teaching the words to the Star Spangled Banner
- Wearing a tie to work every day
- Protesting the removal of trees by contractors
- Saying goodbye to 9 sections of “Criminal Justice” when the course died after I retired
- Supporting “Students for 60,000’ and anything Pete White did
- Demonstrating “Theatre of the Mind” with a live radio show written and performed by students
- Teaching Holocaust Studies and discussing “the deniers”
- Showing “Bowling for Columbine”, “Shindler’s List”, “PAY IT FORWARD” and playing radio shows like “War of the Worlds”
- Initiating an ACADEMIC competition between classes at ENJHS named after Bobby Quinn
- Starting a lacrosse program with Bill Miller
- Demonstrate for a solid union contract
- Coaching an undefeated basketball team with George Franck
- Marrying a fellow great teacher
- Insisting students stand and repeat the Pledge Of Allegiance every morning
GO AHEAD… MAKE MY DAY… FIRE ME.
To help local families stay warm this winter, the Northport-East Northport Public Library is collecting new, gently used or hand made hats, gloves and scarfs for adults and children. Items can brought to the reference desk at either building by January 8th. All donations will be given to the Family Service League for distribution.